Ingredients for 6:
- 1 can (800gr) chickpeas,rinsed and drained
- 5 tbsps chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 tbsps vegan basil pesto, optional, but recommended – you can buy it or make it yourself, recipe below
- half a lemon’s juice
- 2 tbsps tahini
- 2-3 garlic cloves, mashed
- 2-3 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt, to taste
Vegan Basil Pesto:
- 150gr pine nuts, or other nuts, such as almonds, cashews or walnuts
- 40gr fresh basil
- 5 garlic cloves
- 20gr nutritional yeast
- extra virgin olive oil, as needed
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
How to make raw vegan basil pesto:
- You can either use a mortar and pestle or a food processor to make the pesto. For smaller quantities, such as this one, I recommend using a mortar and pestle.
- Toast the nuts for a minute or two.
- Add the nuts in the mortar and mash them. Add the other ingredients, except olive oil, and mash them too until they have a paste-like consistency.
- Add olive oil, until the texture is just right.
Basil Pesto Hummus:
- Put all ingredients in your food processor.
- Process on high speed for 5 minutes until hummus is extra-smooth.
- Add a little bit of ice-cold water in order to make it as smooth as you want.
- Serve and drizzle with olive oil.